Chalkboard Paint – I can’t think of anything that would make kids happier then having an entire wall in their bedroom to draw on, and that’s without getting into trouble of course. With chalkboard paint it’s easy to transform an entire wall, door or any other smooth surface into a chalkboard for your child to have fun and create their own artwork on.
Decorating a kids bedroom with chalkboard paint will create a functional chalkboard that’s erasable, washable and durable.
How to use chalkboard paint
First of all choose a surface or wall which you want to paint. This doesn’t have to be an entire wall, it could be a small section of a wall or door.
- Clean the surface completely and repair any imperfections.
- Tape off the area to be painted.
- Paint the area with a layer of dark tinted primer.
- Next paint on a layer of chalkboard paint.
- Let the paint dry for 48 hours, then cover the entire surface with chalk using a large stick turned on its side. Rub the chalk into the surface and then wipe it off to seal the chalkboard. By doing this you allow whatever is written or drawn on the surface to be completely erased leaving no marks so the kids can use it over and over again.
- To clean and erase the chalkboard use a clean damp cloth or paper towel.
- Only use light colored chalk designed for use on chalkboards for the best effect and to make it easier to erase as these leave no residue.
Did you know that chalkboard paint doesn’t have to be black? There are many great colored chalkboard paints on the market like pink, blue, green and yellow to suit any kids bedroom theme or decor.
- Create a masterpiece by framing your chalkboard or add a colorful painted border.
- Attach a ledge at the bottom of the chalkboard painted section to hold chalk
- A great idea for a teenager is to paint a chalkboard calender with squares for dates. This is a fun way for your teen to keep up with projects and to update their schedule whenever they like.
- Of course chalkboard paint can be used beyond your walls and you could paint furniture, flower pots or storage boxes for a kids bedroom.
Creating an fun and interacting bedroom is easy, decorating a kids bedroom with chalkboard paint will give your child or teen the pleasure to create something new over and over again.